The Hills finale was literally "out with the old" (Lauren Conrad) and "in with the new" (Kristin Cavallari). Let's recap the good, the bad, the ugly, the sad and trivial.
- Mother Darlene gives Spencer her blessing and wants to believe the new and improved Spencer is here to stay .
- Kelly Cutrone gives Lauren the best advice: "Just follow with your intuition, be smart and be brave and tell the truth and don't take s**t." Kelly reassures Lauren that the best times of her life have been when she has nothing to do and no plans at all. So "flaneur" peoples, flaneur!
- Steph gives a touching toast at the rehearsal dinner: "I dont get to say this enough to you but I really love you Spencer. You've always been a protective brother to me and I know that he's going to protect you and take care of you forever and he loves you more than anything in this world. I'm so happy that you found her. Congratulations."
- Steph stepping up to the plate and taking on maid of honour duties without recognition. "I clean up the messes."
- Lauren shows up to Speidi's wedding just for Heidi and they have a moment:
- Heidi wants "the most extravagant wedding ever", flowers galore, real swans and a "princess cake" consisting of white chocolate mousse truffle vanilla with berries in it. It's no wonder why Stephanie looks confused.
- Heidi chooses (well not really a choice) Holly over Steph as maid of honour "just because she's been, you know, my sister my whole life." Steph is not happy.
- Brody is not convinced that Spencer is more than just cold stoned with no heart. "You are, but you just pretend that you aren't."
- Heidi's weird lingo. She gasps "honeymoonalicious" after receiving a bikini with "Just Married" on it. She reassures Holly that "I would never un-maid of honour you" after Holly's drunken episode at the rehearsal dinner.
- Charlie brings Stacie the Bartender as a "surprised guest" to Speidi's wedding. Spencer rightly warns: "If you're really bringing Stacie keep her a good 40 feet away from Heidi." When Stacie walks into the church at the wedding, Frankie immediately notices. "See I like that look. The Latin look."
- OK Heidi we get it, you're a swan princess!
- Heidi is dripping with bling. Stephanie says, "You actually accessorised a wedding dress." While Lauren was more supportive. "You're bedazzled... It's perfect."
- Holly makes a drunken and incoherent toast at rehearsal dinner about sticks and berries, almost spits gum into her mother's hand, high fives a waiter, throws food across the table and stains Heidi's expensive purse. To top it off, she storms off while having an emotional breakdown when Spencer tells Holly she's rude. Oh man, she has a whiny and annoying voice. Check out her slurry and teary outburst:
- Kristin Cavallari walking into the church (minus the bra) and plotting herself next to Justin Bobby, who was looking scruffy as usual.
- Lauren running out from bride's room to sit next to Lo and finding out Kristin is here and they are wearing matching blue dresses.
- Kristin exiting the church and immediately gets on Audrina's nerves by declaring that she needs a man and thinks Justin Bobby is a "standup guy". This definitely set the scene for a Krisdrina feud for the new episodes to come. We already know they don't like each other and almost got into a fight.
MTV wasted no time tying up loose ends for Lauren's Hills exit and paving the way for Kristin's arrival.
- Pack up and move out of massive house pondering "What's next?". Check.
- Quit People's Revolution to "walk around aimlessly without a plan". Check.
- Have one last house party so that Brody can apologise for being a Steph-hater and so Lauren can change her mind about not going to the Speidi wedding. "No, I'll be at the next one". Touche. Check. [Did you notice that Jen Bunny was at the party?]
- Make a pre-wedding visit to "Heids" to tell her that "I'm happy for you" and the reason for coming is because Heidi was a best friend ("was" being the operative word). Check.
- After the ceremony ends duck out back into a limo (as you do) leaving the rest of the Hills gang to get acquainted with newcomer, Kristin Cavallari. Check.